Why I Stopped Eating Peanut Butter (And What I Eat Instead)

I stopped eating peanut butter because peanuts are prone to mold just from how they're grown and how they're stored.


I'm actually allergic to mold (penicillin) and have had a few different exposures to toxic levels of mold in my lifetime.


Chronic mold exposure can cause an inflammatory response in the body and after not being able to stand on my own two feet without being in constant pain for a couple years, I'm pretty diligent these days about avoiding as many inflammation promoting things I can.


One of those things includes mold and foods containing mold.




Like peanuts.


Because the truth of the matter is, inflammation promoting things are all around us - coming at us from a variety of sources every single day.


So controlling what you can when you can really helps.


And peanut butter really isn't that big of a deal. There are plenty of other nut butters that do the exact same thing.


Like almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter, etc.


Just make sure when you're shopping, you reach for brands that don't contain sugar, inflammatory oils, etc. on the ingredient list!


If there's absolutely no way you're going to ever give up peanut butter, reach for a brand that is tested and proven to contain low levels of aflatoxins.


RESOURCES:


https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/aflatoxins#:a a:text=Aflatoxins%20are%20a%20family%20of,humid%20regions%20of%20the%20world.


https://ufhealth.org/aflatoxin


https://drhyman.com/blog/2021/05/24/dp-ep217/


https://drwillcole.com/detoxing-toxins/mold-toxicity-issues-are-on-the-rise-heres-why